Why you need a bootable installer ?
You need to create a bootable installer of the Mac operating system (macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, or macOS High Sierra) to install in old or new versions of Mac system. You don’t need a bootable installer to upgrade macOS or reinstall macOS. But it can be useful when you want to install on multiple computers without downloading the installer each time.
In this tutorial i will show two methods of creating a bootable installer for macOS.
Method 1 : Disk Creator
Follow the steps to create macOS bootable USB.
- This is the easy method for those who want to create a bootable installer with the help of disk creator application.
- Download the macOs (from your Aap store) and Disk Creator.
- Run the Disk creator application
- Insert a 8GB (or larger) flash drive and choose the downloaded macOs from your Application folder.
- Click create installer and wait for some time your bootable macOS drive will be ready.
Insert your USB drive into any Mac. Then launch the installer by holding down the Option key when you boot up your computer.
Method 2 : Using Terminal
If you don’t want to download and use any third party application software, you can make your own installer USB drive using Terminal.
- Download your required macOS from App store.
- Insert a 8GB (or larger) flash drive and format it and rename it. Here for tutorial purpose i have renamed the USB stick as macusb.
- Now you are formatted the USB. open terminal and run the below command according to your requirement , here i am making bootable installer for Catalina.
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/macusb
Note: As i had renamed my USB as macusb, you mention your USB drive name instead of macusb.
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/macusb
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/macusb
Hope this will help you to make a bootable installer. In this tutorial we have covered how to
- Creating macOS bootable USB for Sierra.
- How to create a bootable macOS Catalina installer drive
- How to Make a Bootable MacOS Mojave Installer Drive